Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Why Another Mass Shooting?

Hey guys,

I know that this devastating event happened a few days ago but I needed to get my thoughts together for this post. I remember waking up Monday morning and do what I do each morning which is to look at my phone on Twitter,Instagram, Facebook, check my e-mail and etc. The first thing that I saw was about the Las Vegas mass shooting. My first response in my head was "Why???" Why does another person think it's the right thing to do to get a bunch of large (unneeded) guns for anyone to have as a civilian and start shooting at thousands of innocent people?? I just don't understand.

When I was younger, there might have been shootings but I don't think there were any large ones like we sadly have had. I'm only 26 years old, and at the top of my head I can already name 3 mass shootings around the county; Columbine High School, The Pulse and now this one. I also remember one that happened a few years ago in my own city. I even remember being in my house watching the updates on TV.  There was 7 innocent lives taken away that day and I know that 7 is not even close to the numbers in the other mass shootings but honestly, any number is way too high for any shooting.

One day I hope to have my own children but I'm honestly a bit nervous to bring children into this scary world where people think that they can go buy guns and shoot people for no reason at all.  When the time comes for me to have children, I'm going to absolutely be a great role model for them and express to them that I'm there for them if they ever want to talk to someone.

There has been several talk show hosts who has talked about the shooting but one that really struck me was Jimmy Kimmel's speech, which you can watch here. I was not aware that he was from Las Vegas and I understand how he was feeling. If you see/hear something happening in your hometown, you think to yourself that this wasn't how my city was when I was younger. Our cities were a lot safer back then, and that is because some people think that they are all that and go buy guns, and then go killing innocent people. That's the world we live in now and I'm just one person but something needs to definitely change. Now these days, people don't really want to go to concerts or out to celebrate occasions because there might always be the fear of someone taking their life for no reason.

My heart, prayers and thoughts goes out to all of the victims, their families and friends, and also to everyone who were injured and their families and friends as well.

<3 Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment