This month one of the awareness's is for Lung Cancer. I'm not too familiar with all of the statistics about Lung Cancer so I went to Google (of course) and learned some facts. Here are some statistics:
- Not counting Skin Cancer, Lung Cancer is the second most common cancer in both men and women.
- Prostate Cancer is more common in men and Breast Cancer is more common in women.
- All new Cancers amounts for 14% for Lung Cancer.
- Lung cancer is by far the leading cause of cancer death among both men and women; about 1 out of 4 cancer deaths are from lung cancer. Each year, more people die of lung cancer than of , breast, and prostate cancers combined.
- Lung cancer mainly occurs in older people. About 2 out of 3 people diagnosed with lung cancer are 65 or older, while less than 2% are younger than 45. The average age at the time of diagnosis is about 70.
What really surprised me was this statistics, which was sad to read:
American Cancer society. (2016). Key statistics for lung cancer. Retrieved November 30, 2016, from http://www.cancer.org/cancer/lungcancer-non-smallcell/detailedguide/non-small-cell-lung-cancer-key-statistics