Friday, November 25, 2016

Blogger Spotlight: My Life As A Chronically Ill Young Adult

Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile..oh the joys of having final assignments due. My next courses begin on the 7th,so I'm excited to have 2 weeks with no homework.  I have decided to change the name of the posts when I do interviews with other bloggers. Instead of Blogger Interview, I'm not naming those posts "Blogger Spotlight". My next blogger spotlight is on a blogger who I happened to come upon on and I immediately wanted to do a blogger spotlight on.  Her name is Becca and her blog is called "My Life As A Chronically Ill Young Adult". She is a young adult who was born with Tretralogy of Fallot, Pulmonary Atresia and Pulmonary Hypertension. I wanted to give her a blogger spotlight as I thought she is such a strong person and I wasn't aware of what Tretralogy of Fallot, Pulmonary Atresia and Pulmonary Hypertension, so I thought I would ask her if she could explain them to me and then write this post to bring awareness. If you would like to check out her blog, you definitely should. It is located here

Q: Can you please explain what Tretralogy of Fallot, Pulmonary Atresia and Pulmonary Hypertension are?
A: Tetralogy of Fallot is actually 4 different defects in the heart. One is a whole in the heart. (VSD) Second, pulmonary stenosis. Third, Right ventricular hypertrophy and fourth is an over-riding aorta.
Pulmonary Atresia is the narrowing of the Pulmonary Arteries leading away from the heart and to the lungs. Mine are so tiny that they almost don't exist.
Pulmonary Hypertension is actually a lung disease (mine is caused by the Pulmonary Atresia). PH is high blood pressure in the arteries of your lungs. Most people don't have any pressure in the arteries of their lungs, my pressures are at 90.

Q:What made you start writing a blog?
A: I have always loved writing. I couldn't do sports or be very active when I was young (still can't), so writing became a great coping mechanism for me. When I was in high school I realized that a lot of what I was feeling, I bet a lot of other chronically ill people felt too. I wanted them to know that they weren't alone.

Q:What advice would you give to someone else who has Tretralogy of Fallot, Pulmonary Atresia, Pulmonary Hypertension or a different disease?
A:On the medical side of advice, I'd tell them to listen to their doctors. Take your medicine. If you want to have a good quality of life (or as good as it can get), you have to work at it. On the more emotional side, I would tell you to join FB support groups for people who have your illness, find a camp for people who have your illness and if you're young enough, go as a camper and if you're too old; go as a counselor. The community for your illness is going to help you out so much. I went to camp at 7 years old and I have had friends for 17 years who have been there for me every step of the way.

Q:Do you have any favorite quotes?
A: "Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is facing a battle in which you know nothing about." - T.H. Thompson and John Watson.

Q:How long have you been blogging?
A: Since my senior year of high school. This January it will be 6 years.

Q:What do you like to do beside blogging? Any hobbies?
A: I love reading. I also perform American Sign Language to music. I do a lot of arts and crafts as well. For Halloween I made all my own Halloween decorations (potion bottles, spell books) and since my whole family loves reading, I make a lot of bookmarks. I've sold a few of my things as well, but not enough to say I do it as a business. More just for fun. I also plan monthly event for local young adults who have Congenital Heart Disease like myself.


Thank you Becca for letting me interview you and explaining to me what Tretralogy of Fallot, Pulmonary Atresia and Pulmonary Hypertension are and allowing me to help bring awareness to them if people aren't familiar with them. Also, if you would like to check out her blog, click here


<3 Amanda 

No comments:

Post a Comment