Sunday, June 5, 2016

National Cancer Survivors Day

Today is National Cancer Survivors Day and I first want to say the cancer sucks. I personally have known a few people who are survivors, currently going through and sadly lost their fight. The statistics are hard to read: 

  • According to the National Cancer Institute, In 2016, an estimated 1,685,210 new cases of cancer will be diagnosed in the United States and 595,690 people will die from the disease.
  • Based on 2008-2012 deaths, The number of cancer deaths is 171.2 per 100,000 men and women per year .
  • Based on 2008-2012 cases ,The number of new cases of cancer is 454.8 per 100,000 men and women per year 
  • The most common cancers in 2016 are projected to be breast cancer, lung and bronchus cancer, prostate cancer, colon and rectum cancer, bladder cancer, melanoma of the skin, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, thyroid cancer, kidney and renal pelvis cancer, leukemia, endometrial cancer, and pancreatic cancer.
  • Based on 2010-2012 data,Approximately 39.6 percent of men and women will be diagnosed with cancer at some point during their lifetimes
  • In 2014, an estimated 15,780 children and adolescents ages 0 to 19 were diagnosed with cancer and 1,960 died of the disease.
(National Cancer Institute., n.d.)


Like I mentioned above, I haven't personally been affected by cancer but I have had(have)family and friends who were affected by cancer, so I feel like I have been affected by cancer.  My aunt went through Skin Cancer and I believe that she is in remission but has to get tested every now and then to make sure she doesn't relapse. My cousin (by marriage) is a cancer survivor. My mom's cousin is a Breast Cancer Survivor. One of my close friend's mom is currently going through cancer(although I can't remember which type she has). Sadly, a family friend passed away a few years ago due to cancer.

I just want to say that I'm thinking of all of you who have lost a family member or friend to cancer. If you're in remission, I pray that you remain in remission. If you're currently going through cancer, I'm thinking of you too. You are strong and you will kick cancer's butt.


Reference:


National Cancer Institute. (n.d.). Cancer Statistics. Retrieved June 04, 2016, from http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/understanding/statistics 




<3 Amanda















No comments:

Post a Comment