- According to the National Cancer Institute, In 2016, an estimated 1,685,210 new cases of cancer will be diagnosed in the United States and 595,690 people will die from the disease.
- Based on 2008-2012 deaths, The number of cancer deaths is 171.2 per 100,000 men and women per year .
- Based on 2008-2012 cases ,The number of new cases of cancer is 454.8 per 100,000 men and women per year
- are projected to be breast cancer, lung and bronchus cancer, prostate cancer, colon and rectum cancer, bladder cancer, melanoma of the skin, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, thyroid cancer, kidney and renal pelvis cancer, leukemia, endometrial cancer, and pancreatic cancer.
- Based on 2010-2012 data,Approximately 39.6 percent of men and women will be diagnosed with cancer at some point during their lifetimes
- In 2014, an estimated 15,780 children and adolescents ages 0 to 19 were diagnosed with cancer and 1,960 died of the disease.
(National Cancer Institute., n.d.)
Like I mentioned above, I haven't personally been affected by cancer but I have had(have)family and friends who were affected by cancer, so I feel like I have been affected by cancer. My aunt went through Skin Cancer and I believe that she is in remission but has to get tested every now and then to make sure she doesn't relapse. My cousin (by marriage) is a cancer survivor. My mom's cousin is a Breast Cancer Survivor. One of my close friend's mom is currently going through cancer(although I can't remember which type she has). Sadly, a family friend passed away a few years ago due to cancer.
I just want to say that I'm thinking of all of you who have lost a family member or friend to cancer. If you're in remission, I pray that you remain in remission. If you're currently going through cancer, I'm thinking of you too. You are strong and you will kick cancer's butt.