Thursday, June 30, 2016

Blogger Interview: Cullom Corner

The blogger that I interviewed was April and her blog is called Cullom Corner, which you can go check out here. She is a high school social studies teacher from Alabama. She has great teacher posts.

Q:What is the meaning behind your blog name?
 A:My blog name is Cullom Corner, which is my last name. I liked this idea because it encompassed both myself and my husband. I thought it well exemplified the idea of it being our “little corner of the world” and expressing our ideas on things. 

Q:   What made you decide to start blogging?
A: I have dealt with a tremendous amount of health problems in recent years. As a result of this, I spent lots of time on the Internet looking for time-saving tips and ideas for the classroom. I found some that helped me but overall, I noticed that no one was really focusing on the things I wanted them to focus on. Luckily my health has improved and is under control now so I thought after starting my Teacher Pay Teacher store that blogging was the next step. 

Q: What do you blog about?
A: I blog about education issues. Right now with the summer time, I’m focusing more on summer tips to help teachers and students. However, I plan to start focusing more specifically on time-saving techniques and ways to make a teacher’s life easier. This will include everything from classroom décor to making grading faster. There is a lot out there for elementary teachers but I teach high school so I would like to offer suggestions for other secondary teachers.    

Q:
  How long have you been blogging?
A: I actually started blogging in 2009 when my husband and I got engaged. I originally used this blog to chronicle my engagement, wedding, & early married life for my friends and family. However, I recently (in April 2016) decided to change the focus to education.    

Q: What do you like to do beside blogging? Any hobbies?
A: I love to spend time with my husband watching our favorite television shows, like Castle, Brooklyn 99, and Angie Tribeca. I am kind of obsessed with working on my Teacher Pay Teacher store. It has become my “baby” and I just love creating new products. I also enjoy doing activities like Zumba and walking at the park with friends.  

Q:   Have you had writer’s block? What did you do? 
A: Since I haven’t been blogging long, I haven’t experienced this. I have SO many ideas in my head right now so that is the bigger problem for me. I’m trying to prioritize and sort all the ideas that pop into my head for blog posts! 

Q: What’s one thing you want your subscribers to know?
A:  As I move into doing more of a focus on time-saving tips & making life easier for teachers, I want them to know that I am a full-time classroom teacher that knows exactly what they are going through. I teach 10th & 12th grade Social Studies from 7:30-3:00 every day and I know how valuable time is for teachers. I have dealt with chronic illness that has inhibited my ability to do my job so I realize that sometimes life just doesn’t work the way it is supposed to work. We can all use a little help to make our life easier whether you are dealing with chronic illness, a divorce, moving houses, problems with your children, or just trying to have a life outside the classroom. Teaching is not easy and taking tips and ideas from someone doesn’t mean you are weak or a bad teacher. It actually means just the opposite! You are smart enough to realize your limits and allow someone to help you, which will ultimately improve your teaching.  

Q:  How do you balance being a teacher, wife and blogger?
A: It is definitely hard but I am very blessed to have a supportive husband and family. My husband is actually planning to go back to school in the fall to get his master’s degree so I figure we will spend a lot of time “together” while working on our laptops. 

Q: What made you decide to become a teacher?
A: I have to admit that I really don’t know how to answer this question because I have ALWAYS wanted to be a teacher. From an early age, I would teach my stuffed animals and my younger sister. I would come home from school and teach my sister what I had done that day, which is why I still take credit for her being the Valedictorian of her senior class. She was the only Kindergartner learning multiplication tables and cursive writing!

I originally wanted to teach choir but my parents tried to make me realize that schools usually only have one choir teacher so I might want to find myself something else to do on top of music. They never told me NOT to be a music teacher but they suggested I get an additional certification. Ultimately, I didn’t end up doing anything with choir. I was blessed to have several great social studies teachers in middle school and during that time, a librarian at my local library suggested that I read a historical fiction book entitled, The Last Silk Dress, by Ann Rinaldi. My dad is a HUGE history buff and I started to realize that I absolutely LOVED history. As a result, I decided to go into Social Studies. 

Q:  What advice would you give to someone who is just starting their blog?
A: Since I am new myself, I think the biggest thing is to learn everything you can. Get in a Facebook Blog Support Groups and read the advice others are giving. Ask questions. Read other people’s blogs as well. Obviously as an educator, I recognize the need for education in all aspects of life, blogging included. 

Q:   Do you have any other social media sites?
 A: Here are my sites: 


Again, you should check out April's blog by clicking here. Thanks again April for letting me interview you!


<3 Amanda 



















No comments:

Post a Comment