Saturday, May 14, 2016

The Overcoming Of Selective Mutism

When I was younger;early elementary school years;I was diagnosed with Selective Mutism,which is a complex childhood anxiety disorder characterized by a child's inability to speak and communicate effectively in select social settings, such as school. These children are able to speak and communicate in settings where they are comfortable, secure, and relaxed (Shipon-Blum, E., n.d.). I remember in elementary school when I would only talk to my teacher and a few classmates because I was comfortable talking to them. I was less shy in middle school and high school. Now days, some people say that I do still have selective mutism a hundred percent but I think I have gotten way better.  I have had some amazing teachers who has been supporting, encouraging,patient and understanding. I still get times when I meet new people and I'm not that talkative but I also know more people who are like that as well.

Being shy has always been a struggle of mine and something that I have had to overcome but with great teachers,friends and family members, I have gotten way better at not being so shy since I was younger. What is one thing you overcame?








Reference:

Shipon-Blum, E. (n.d.). What is Selective Mutism. Retrieved May 13, 2016, from http://www.selectivemutismcenter.org/aboutus/whatisselectivemutism



No comments:

Post a Comment